Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Castle Toward. General view from North.

SC 559126

Description Castle Toward. General view from North.

Catalogue Number SC 559126

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 4592

Scope and Content View of Castle Toward from the north, Argyll and Bute Castle Toward was built in two stages. The original house was erected in 1820 for Kirkman Finlay, a wealthy Glasgow merchant. In 1920-4 the west section of the house was added for Andrew Coats, a member of the Paisley thread-making family. The north façade is dominated by a tower which is octagonal at the upper storey and has a battlemented parapet. The chimney-stacks are also octagonal. The original section of the house lies to the left, while the most recent part is on the right. The architect David Hamilton (1768-1843) designed the original house in a Gothic castellated style in 1820. It was one of his more conventional designs. A century later, the house was altered and extended by Francis Deas (1862-1951) using the same style. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/559126

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions