Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray from W.

C 19647 CN

Description View of Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray from W.

Date 28/7/1993

Catalogue Number C 19647 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 797127

Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles, from west Barra Head Lighthouse, designed by Thomas Stevenson (1772-1850) and opened in 1833, and is a white conical tower 18m in height. Built of stone, it has a corbelled walkway around the outside of the lantern. In the background the keepers' houses can be seen. They are separated from the lighthouse tower by a courtyard. To the right of the lighthouse there is another single-storeyed building. Around the tower there is a single-storeyed semicircular building with two entrance doors. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions