Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pittenweem, Gyles House View of Gyles House

SC 556334

Description Pittenweem, Gyles House View of Gyles House

Date 3/7/1979

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 556334

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Gyles House, Pittenweem, Fife This harbour has probably existed since early medieval times, but was rebuilt in the 17th century, and again in the 19th and 20th centuries. It was originally principally a trading harbour for its grain-growing hinterland, but then became a fishing port. This view shows the inner end of the east basin, with the start of the east pier to the right. This and the quay wall to the left are probably basically 17th century work The house on the east pier is Gyles House, a merchant's house of 1626. The harbour developed in the late 19th century as a base for the herring fishing which flourished after machine net-making made large-scale drift-netting practicable. This trade faltered after the First World War, and was supplanted by white fishing. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H79/90/14

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/556334

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 556334) Pittenweem, Gyles House View of Gyles House

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions