Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Millhouse, Weighhouse View from WNW showing NW front

SC 554044

Description Millhouse, Weighhouse View from WNW showing NW front

Date 29/3/1979

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 554044

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Gunpowder village, original weighouse, Millhouse, near Kames, Argyll This village was built to serve a gunpowder works which was founded in 1839. The remains of the works and village cover a large area. This view shows the building which served as the village post office in 1979, but which was built to house the indoor part of a weighbridge. The external platform and internal steelyard have been removed. The Kames gunpowder works was sited to take advantage of remoteness from centres of population, convenience for shipping, and availability of suitable wood for charcoal making. The works had its own fleet of vessels to convey the product. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H79/29/16

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/554044

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 554044) Millhouse, Weighhouse View from WNW showing NW front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions