Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. Genral view of Watch House from South.

SC 536305

Description Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. Genral view of Watch House from South.

Date 15/5/1969

Catalogue Number SC 536305

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AB 2401

Scope and Content Watch-house, St Machar's Cathedral, Aberdeen St Machar's Cathedral is probably the fourth church on this site and mostly dates to the 15th century. It was damaged during the Reformation and ransacked by Cromwell's troops for stone to fortify Castlehill in 1650. The steeple collapsed in 1688. At the end of the 18th century, due to the growth in medical education, there was a demand for fresh corpses for study. To prevent the activities of body-snatchers, 'watch societies' guarded the grave-yards from watch-houses or watch-towers. Old Aberdeen, originally 'Kirkton of Aberdon', grew up around St Machar's Cathedral, built for the Bishopric established in 1125-30. It was eventually absorbed by the royal burgh, 'New Aberdeen', centred on the harbour at the mouth of the River Dee. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/536305

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions