Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Lismore, Castle Coeffin. General view from South-East.

AG 1392

Description Lismore, Castle Coeffin. General view from South-East.

Date 29/7/1882

Collection Erskine Beveridge

Catalogue Number AG 1392

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 743168

Scope and Content Castle Coeffin, Lismore, Argyll & Bute, from the south-east The ruins of Castle Coeffin, strategically sited on a small limestone promontory on the north-west coast of the island of Lismore, command extensive views over Loch Linnhe to the Sound of Mull. The castle, built in the 13th century for the MacDougalls of Lorn, was photographed in 1882 by the Victorian photographer, Erskine Beveridge. The remains of the castle comprise an oblong hall-house on the summit of the promontory, and an irregularly-shaped bailey, an enclosure defended by a ditch, surrounding the main entrance approach on the north-east side. The house, built of local rubble and beach boulders, appears to have had two main storeys, with three entrances on the ground floor, and a large single apartment occupying all of the first floor. The bailey, built of the same masonry as the house, dates from late medieval times. The site of the castle is one of great natural strength, well placed for seaborne communication, and with a convenient anchorage and landing-place in the gently shelving bay to the south-east. Local tradition holds that the name 'Coeffin' derives from the legendary Norse prince, Caifan, and that the castle was built on the site of a Viking fortress. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/535178

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 59) Erskine Beveridge

> Item Level (AG 1392) Lismore, Castle Coeffin. General view from South-East.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Erskine Beveridge Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions