Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steel Works View of power station and rolling mill

SC 529811

Description Glengarnock Steel Works View of power station and rolling mill

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529811

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows the rolling-mill power station, built during the First World War, but not started until March 1919. Note the overhead lines supplying power to different parts of the works. The station was re-equipped during World War II. This was a typical works power station, but like most such it had been supplanted by drawing electricity from the National Grid. It had been disused for some years prior to 1978. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/70/1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529811

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529811) Glengarnock Steel Works View of power station and rolling mill

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions