Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steel Works, Melting Shop View of pit side and ingot cars

SC 529807

Description Glengarnock Steel Works, Melting Shop View of pit side and ingot cars

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529807

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows the pit side of the open-hearth melting shop, built in 1916. The furnaces are in a row on the left, with ladles waiting to receive the molten steel. On the right is a row of ingot moulds into which the steel will be run from the ladles. This was a typical early 20th century open-hearth melting shop, with a heavy steel frame clad in corrugated iron. A proposal to preserve the shop as a British national steel museum was opposed by the local council, and the works was demolished. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/69/15

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529807

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529807) Glengarnock Steel Works, Melting Shop View of pit side and ingot cars

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions