Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steel Works, Old Power Station General View

SC 529777

Description Glengarnock Steel Works, Old Power Station General View

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529777

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows the old power station, which served the works before the First World War, though it was not clear in 1978 exactly what function it had performed. By 1978 it was a store. The style of this building suggests that it was built in connection with the Bessemer steel plant, in the 1880s. It may have housed the blowers for the converters in which the steel was made. The works closed in 1978 and was dismantled. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/68/10

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529777

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529777) Glengarnock Steel Works, Old Power Station General View

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions