Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steel Works, Joiner's Shop; Interior View of 50 ton tensile testing machine, made by Buckton (1571)

SC 529753

Description Glengarnock Steel Works, Joiner's Shop; Interior View of 50 ton tensile testing machine, made by Buckton (1571)

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529753

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows a 50-ton tensile-testing machine in the testing shop. This shop was established in 1916 to test steel made for shell manufacture. This machine was made by Buckton, and was hydraulically operated. The works closed in 1978 and was dismantled. Some of the testing shop equipment was preserved, and can be seen at Summerlee Museum, Coatbridge. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/67/7

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529753

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529753) Glengarnock Steel Works, Joiner's Shop; Interior View of 50 ton tensile testing machine, made by Buckton (1571)

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions