Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Glasgow Bridge View from ESE showing ESE front

SC 513943

Description Glasgow, Glasgow Bridge View from ESE showing ESE front

Date 1977

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 513943

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glasgow Bridge, Jamaica Street, Glasgow This bridge replaced a bridge designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1833-5. The engineers for the replacement were Blyth and Westland, who originally proposed a four-arch structure, but had to build to the same profile as the Telford bridge. This view shows the bridge from the east. The bridge is wider than its predecessor, and is founded on steel caissons. The granite cladding came largely from the Telford bridge. To the rear is the second Central Station bridge (1899-1905). The widening of this bridge was occasioned partly by the growth of horse-tram traffic following the take-over by Glasgow Corporation of the tram services in the city. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H77/65/9

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/513943

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 513943) Glasgow, Glasgow Bridge View from ESE showing ESE front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions