Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

61 Cumberland Street Detail of railing and half gate

SC 512097

Description 61 Cumberland Street Detail of railing and half gate

Catalogue Number SC 512097

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 4123

Scope and Content Railing and half-gate, Cumberland Street, Edinburgh Cumberland Street, at the foot of the hill running down from Queen Street Gardens, was built between 1824-8 to provide housing of lesser quality than its southern counterpart, Northumberland Street, for the lower middle and better-off artisan classes. This unusual half-gate is a later addition to the street railings. It probably opened to allow deliveries of coal or other heavy goods to the basement. Unlike most gates from the street to the basement area, it does not lead to the basement steps. The abundance of railings in the New Town was a result of the expansion of the city when cast iron was cheap. Even during World War II, when many railings were removed, the basement area still had to be protected, and thus much original ironwork remains. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions