Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Garlogie Mills, Beam Engine House General View

SC 508510

Description Garlogie Mills, Beam Engine House General View

Date 22/8/1976

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 508510

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Beam engine house, Garlogie Woollen Mills, Aberdeenshire This granite engine house contains a single-cylinder beam engine, disused since c1904, which drove the Garlogie Woollen Mills, which were demolished in 1934. An adjoining house contains a hydro-electric power station for the Dunecht Estate. This view shows the engine house from the north east. The height indicates that it was built for a beam engine. The building on the left is a public hall built with materials from the demolished woollen mill which stood on that site. The beam engine here is the only factory beam engine surviving in its original location in Scotland. It is now incorporated in a small museum run by the local council. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H76/249/5

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/508510

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 508510) Garlogie Mills, Beam Engine House General View

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions