Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, St Margaret's Well Photographic copy of engraving showing St Margaret's Well Copied from 'Cassell's Old and New Edinburgh' Volume 2, by James Grant, p.311

SC 498196

Description Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, St Margaret's Well Photographic copy of engraving showing St Margaret's Well Copied from 'Cassell's Old and New Edinburgh' Volume 2, by James Grant, p.311

Catalogue Number SC 498196

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 65266 P

Scope and Content St Margaret's Well, Holyrood Park, City of Edinburgh St Margaret's Well is not one of the original seven holy wells in Holyrood Park. The well-house is an old one, dating to the 15th century, but it was originally sited in Restalrig. It was covered over during the building of the railway there. In 1860 the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland arranged for the well-house to be moved and re-erected in Holyrood Park. Though somewhat forlorn today, the interior is beautifully detailed with fine rib-vaulting. A hollow just above the well-house marks the site of St David's Well, the original spring here. The Park was well-known for its sweet waters and has a long tradition of brewing that goes back at least to the monks of Holyrood Abbey in the 12th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/498196

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions