Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from West

SC 488885

Description View from West

Date c. 1950

Collection H D Wyllie

Catalogue Number SC 488885

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 3261

Scope and Content Huntly House, Canongate, Edinburgh Huntly House, 'erroneously identified as the lodging of George, 6th Earl and 1st Marquis of Huntly' dates from the early 16th century. Its name may come from a later tenant, a Duchess of the Gordons of Huntly who had a flat here in the 18th century. The house, bought by the Incorporation of Hammermen in 1647 as a meeting house, was altered by Robert Mylne who raised the front by 'two timber-faced and harled storeys with three broad gables to the street' which remains its most noticeable feature. The Hammermen, the most influential of the trades incorporations of the Canongate in the 17th century, were smiths and metalworkers and included blacksmiths, swordmakers and watchmakers. Their patron was St Eloi. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/488885

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Collection Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (H D Wyllie Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions