Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Attic, ironing room, wall, cupboards, detail

D 30806

Description Attic, ironing room, wall, cupboards, detail

Date 12/5/1998

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number D 30806

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 757508

Scope and Content Cupboards in ironing room in attic, Cluny Castle, Highland This shows two wooden cupboards in the attic ironing room. There is a stopcock attached to the upper pipe (right) that led into the cupboard on the right, which suggests that there was a water tank inside. The tank may well have been a later addition and the cupboards were probably originally used to store linen before and after ironing. The basement was where the servants prepared and cooked food and washed linen. The family entertained guests in the dining and drawing rooms on the ground floor and slept in the bedrooms on the first floor. The servants shared bedrooms in the attic of the house, where functional rooms like this ironing room were often located. Cluny Castle was built in 1805 for the Macphersons of Cluny and stands on the site of an earlier castle which was destroyed by fire in 1746. William Laidlaw Carruthers, Inverness, designed the north-west wing and the Queen Anne Revival-style porch c.1890. Many of the estate buildings were also built when the castle was rebuilt, including gate lodges, stables, meal mill, saw mill and walled gardens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions