Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from South

SC 466318

Description View from South

Catalogue Number SC 466318

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 39484

Scope and Content City Chambers, High Street, Edinburgh The City Chambers, built in 1753-61 as the Exchange, a meeting-place for merchants, was the first of a succession of improvements to the Old Town, carried out at the instigation of Lord Provost George Drummond, culminating in the building of the New Town. The Exchange formed a three-sided courtyard, and was originally open to the High Street on the south. The most striking feature is the centrepiece on the north side, with Corinthian pilasters, a pediment with urns, and a sculptured tympanum in the middle. 18th-century Classical Edinburgh began with the building of the new merchants' Exchange, designed by John Adam. The next step was the building of William Mylne's North Bridge (1763) which gave access to the site of the proposed New Town. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466318

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions