Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

View of George Street elevation

SC 460210

Description View of George Street elevation

Catalogue Number SC 460210

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 2280

Scope and Content Clydesdale Bank Building, 29-31 George Street, Edinburgh The former Clydesdale Bank Building, chief Edinburgh office of the Clydesdale Bank, stands at the corner of George Street and Hanover Street. Designed by David Bryce in 1841 for the Edinburgh and Leith Bank, it was extended down Hanover Street in 1847. The entrance to the Bank is from George Street. The upper floor, with its giant Corinthian pilasters and pairs of Corinthian columns set forward from them, is very typical of David Bryce's Greco-Roman style. The Clydesdale Bank was founded in Glasgow in 1838 in the rise of Glasgow's prosperity as the centre of the cotton, iron manufacturing, engineering and shipbuilding industries. It opened with its head office in Glasgow, and one branch in Edinburgh. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/460210

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions