Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lithograph showing view of Inveraray Castle Insc. 'Chateau d'Inveraray. J. Hardiviller del. Lith. de Villain.'

SC 457792

Description Lithograph showing view of Inveraray Castle Insc. 'Chateau d'Inveraray. J. Hardiviller del. Lith. de Villain.'

Catalogue Number SC 457792

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7988

Scope and Content Lithograph of Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute Inveraray Castle, a good example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to designs by the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The architect John Vanbrugh (1664-1726) and Dugald Campbell, a military engineer (d.1757), may have provided ideas. After the completion of the military road in 1758 between Dumbarton and Inveraray, it became much easier for travellers to visit Inveraray Castle. Their accounts are a valuable record. One visitor was Lord Kames, author of 'Elements of Criticism' (1762). Kames commented that everyone should approve of the combination of the Gothic Inveraray Castle with the wild and grand landscape around it. He felt the duke had adjusted finely ' the appearance of his house to that of the country where it is placed'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/457792

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions