Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elevation by John Douglas showing Inveraray Castle prior to work by John Adam.

SC 457762

Description Elevation by John Douglas showing Inveraray Castle prior to work by John Adam.

Collection John Douglas

Catalogue Number SC 457762

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 13898 P

Scope and Content 18th-century drawing of Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute Archibald, 3rd Duke of Argyll, who succeeded to the title in 1743, was responsible for replacing the 15th-century Inveraray Castle with the present castle. He also initiated the removal of the town of Inveraray half a mile south to a new site. The service-quarters were originally in the basement. The principal (ground) floor contained the family and state apartments, with the bedroom floor at the top. The relative heights of the storeys reflected their importance. The new castle, an example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to the design of the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The central tower, with windows of stained glass, was designed as the main feature of the castle. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/457762

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions