Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View before addition of conical roofs on angle-towers.

SC 457760

Description View before addition of conical roofs on angle-towers.

Catalogue Number SC 457760

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 3588

Scope and Content View of original entrance front of Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute Archibald, 3rd Duke of Argyll, who succeeded to the title in 1743, was responsible for replacing the 15th-century Inveraray Castle with the present castle. He also initiated the removal of the town of Inveraray half a mile south to a new site. The new castle, a good example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to designs by the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The architect John Vanbrugh (1664-1726) and Dugald Campbell, a military engineer (d.1757), may have provided ideas. The architect who supervised the building of the castle was William Adam (1689-1748) and his son, John (1721-92), worked on the interior. This view, taken before the great fire in 1877, shows the main entrance to the castle. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions