Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prestongrange Colliery View from W showing steam engine, steam navvy, power station, SW front and NNW front of pumping engine

SC 456970

Description Prestongrange Colliery View from W showing steam engine, steam navvy, power station, SW front and NNW front of pumping engine

Date 1975

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 456970

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Prestongrange Mining Museum, Prestonpans, East Lothian This museum was established by East Lothian County Council on the site of the former Prestongrange Colliery. Its focal point was the Cornish pumping engine installed in 1874, and the former power station was adapted for indoor display. This view shows the Cornish beam engine in its masonry house, with its massive beam attached to the top section of the timber pump rod that ran down a shaft to operate pumps which drained the colliery, whose workings were under the sea. This museum is now run by East Lothian Council as a museum of local industry. A volunteer group run steam trains on summer weekends. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H75/77/4

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/456970

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 456970) Prestongrange Colliery View from W showing steam engine, steam navvy, power station, SW front and NNW front of pumping engine

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions