Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

National Bank of Scotland. General view of street front.

RC 3292

Description National Bank of Scotland. General view of street front.

Date 1975 to 1976

Collection List C Survey

Catalogue Number RC 3292

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 398448, SC 1643522

Scope and Content National Bank (now 'Hydro Board'), High Street, Dingwall, Highlands Dingwall, despite being the county town of Ross and Cromarty, remained small with little trade until its harbour was built in 1815-17. Connection to the rail network in 1862 fuelled further expansion. The town-centre was redeveloped in 1963. The National Bank was built in 1838 by William Robertson. The front is in simple Classical Greek style with a low pediment above the entrance and flattened pillars, or pilasters. Mathematically defined architectural styles or Orders used by the Ancient Greeks and Romans during the Classical period were rediscovered by architects during the Renaissance and remained popular until the 20th century, Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/45107

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (List C Survey)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions