Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Machar's Cathedral. Detail of mural monument of Simon Dods, Canon of Aberdeen and Prebendary of Invernochty, 1496.

SC 447500

Description St Machar's Cathedral. Detail of mural monument of Simon Dods, Canon of Aberdeen and Prebendary of Invernochty, 1496.

Catalogue Number SC 447500

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 47181 CN

Scope and Content St Machar's Cathedral, Aberdeen St Machar's Cathedral is probably the fourth church on this site and mostly dates to the 15th century. It was damaged during the Reformation and ransacked by Cromwell's troops for stone to fortify Castlehill in 1650. The steeple collapsed in 1688. This mural monument in relief is to Simon Dods, one of Bishop Elphinstone's (1483-1514) most loyal administrators. He was a canon of the cathedral and the prebendary of Invernochty from 1483-96. Margaret, wife of James III, is mentioned in the epitaph. Old Aberdeen, originally 'Kirkton of Aberdon', grew up around St Machar's Cathedral, built for the Bishopric established in 1125-30. It was eventually absorbed by the royal burgh, 'New Aberdeen', centred on the harbour at the mouth of the River Dee. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/447500

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions