Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Second Ed OS map extract showing Murikirk Iron Works.. NB: Scan of NAS slide.

SC 436101

Description Second Ed OS map extract showing Murikirk Iron Works.. NB: Scan of NAS slide.

Catalogue Number SC 436101

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Muirkirk Ironworks, Ayrshire The mining remains at Muirkirk cover more than 9 sq km and include a tarworks and an ironworks. Both required coal for fuel, and the ironworks also needed iron ore and limestone, all of which were available locally by opencast mining and quarrying. The ironworks is shown in some detail on the OS 2nd Edition map of 1896. There were furnaces, forges, a rolling mill, an ironstone kiln, and a coking oven. Raw materials arrived by tramways or canal, and the finished iron left by rail. The tarworks was set up in 1786 by the Earl of Dundonald and later taken over by J L MacAdam, the famous road engineer. The ironworks was founded in 1787 and flourished until the ironstone seams were exhausted in 1901. Coal mining ended in 1968. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions