Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view

SC 426602

Description General view

Date c. 1940

Collection H D Wyllie

Catalogue Number SC 426602

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 3290

Scope and Content Lady Stair's House, Lady Stair's Close, Lawnmarket, Edinburgh Lady Stair's House, built in 1622, was formerly called Lady Gray's House after Gidia Smith, widow of the original owner, Sir William Gray. It was bought by their granddaughter, the Countess of Stair, a noted beauty and leader of fashion, in 1719. Under the hexagonal stair tower at ground level is a hole to shelter a pig, once kept commonly in the Old Town to feed on household scraps. The house has an oak staircase leading to a musicians' gallery and a stone stair with steps of uneven height. Stone stairs with steps of uneven height were deliberately constructed as a 'trip' stair or early burglar alarm. Any intruders unfamiliar with the building would stumble on the uneven step and reveal their presence. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/426602

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Collection Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (H D Wyllie Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions