Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, Gattonside, Suspension Footbridge View from SSE

SC 426214

Description Melrose, Gattonside, Suspension Footbridge View from SSE

Date 8/4/1974

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 426214

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Gattonside Suspension bridge - Chain Bridge -, Gattonside, Melrose, Roxburghshire This was one of the oldest suspension bridges in Scotland. It was designed and supplied by Redpath, Brown & Co of Edinburgh. Construction was carried out by Smith's of Darnwick, a local firm, for the sum of £600 in 1825. On opening on 26th October 1826, it was a toll bridge: 1/2 pence per crossing, or 3 pence for a week's pass. This view was taken from the south east, and shows the castellated pylons and slender construction of the wrought-iron chains, suspenders and deck. This was a remarkable survivor from the early days of suspension bridges in Scotland, but was very unsympathetically reconstructed in 1991. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H74/41/16

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/426214

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 426214) Melrose, Gattonside, Suspension Footbridge View from SSE

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions