Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Graveslab, Kilnave Church, Kilnave. View of West Highland graveslab (KF2).

SC 423672

Description Graveslab, Kilnave Church, Kilnave. View of West Highland graveslab (KF2).

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 423672

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 11798

Scope and Content Detail of West Highland grave-slab at Kilnave Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute A late medieval chapel stands at Kilnave on the west shore of Loch Gruinart on Islay's north coast. Although the chapel has been roofless for several centuries, the walls are still relatively intact. A 19th-century wall encloses the burial-ground. A number of Early Christian and medieval grave-slabs survive in the burial-ground. This tapered slab dates from c.1500-60 and bears a central sword, which is a symbol of power and strength. The sword is surrounded by animals and plant-stems. Above the sword is an inscription which reads 'HIC IACET DONALDUS NIALDI' - 'Here lies Donald, son of Niall'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423672

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions