Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Orsay, Chapel. Aerial view from West.

SC 423557

Description Islay, Orsay, Chapel. Aerial view from West.

Catalogue Number SC 423557

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8509

Scope and Content Aerial view of chapel on Orsay Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The small islet of Orsay lies just south-west of the Rhinns peninsula of Islay, opposite the village of Portnahaven. The only buildings on the island are the lighthouse built in 1824-5, and these remains of the medieval chapel and burial-ground. Standing at the north of the island, the chapel is now incorporated within an oblong gable-ended building. The western portion is the original chapel, while the rest seems to have been added in the late 18th or early 19th century to create a storehouse. In 1824, the burial-ground was cleared to create a garden for the lighthouse keeper. This was an unsuccessful venture, and the area now serves as a paddock to graze sheep. The enclosing walls date from this period. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423557

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions