Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Chapel, Texa, Islay. View from South East.

AG 11803

Description Chapel, Texa, Islay. View from South East.

Date 1981

Catalogue Number AG 11803

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 423536

Scope and Content View from south-east showing chapel on Texa Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The tiny island of Texa lies off Islay's south-east coast, east of Port Ellen. There are traces of agricultural activity on the island, which was abandoned in the late 19th century. A number of ruinous buildings survive as remnants of this occupation. This late medieval chapel served the island's small community. Built of sandstone rubble, it is simple in plan. It has only one room, with the doorway at the west end of its south wall, and single windows opposite each other in the north and south walls. To the west (left) of the chapel lie the remains of the 19th-century enclosing walls of the burial-ground where a number of medieval crosses and grave-slab fragements were found in 1880-2. These are now held in the National Museums of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/421610

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions