Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Orsay Island, Chapel. Detail of window, external face.

AG 11916

Description Orsay Island, Chapel. Detail of window, external face.

Date 1981

Catalogue Number AG 11916

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 423559

Scope and Content Detail of external face of window in chapel on Orsay Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The small islet of Orsay lies just south-west of the Rhinns peninsula of Islay, opposite the village of Portnahaven. The only buildings on the island are the lighthouse built in 1824-5, and the remains of a medieval chapel and burial-ground. Standing at the north of the island, the chapel is now incorporated within an oblong gable-ended building. The western portion is the original chapel, while the rest seems to have been added in the late 18th or early 19th century to create a storehouse. This lancet-window lies in the south wall of the medieval chapel. It lies directly opposite another identical window in the north wall. Both are slender pointed arched windows formed from slab voussoirs and with shaped keystones at the head of the arch. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/421394

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions