Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Graveslab of Lachlan Campbell, 1689, Kilchoman Church. View of graveslab.

AG 12396

Description Graveslab of Lachlan Campbell, 1689, Kilchoman Church. View of graveslab.

Date 1982

Catalogue Number AG 12396

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 416816

Scope and Content Detail of grave-slab to Lachlan Campbell in churchyard of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school of carving, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This slab is dedicated to Lachlan Campbell and dated 1689. Within the inscription is a shield containing (from top left) 'gyronny of eight', stag's head, a galley in sail and three buckles. On either side of the central sword is an inscribed verse. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/413525

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions