Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fragment of cross, Kilchoman Old Parish Church. Detail of fragment of cross (reverse).

AG 6869

Description Fragment of cross, Kilchoman Old Parish Church. Detail of fragment of cross (reverse).

Date 1974

Catalogue Number AG 6869

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 416804

Scope and Content View of fragment of cross, Kilchoman Church, Islay There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This is the head and part of the shaft of a free-standing cross. The carving is fairly plain, with a representation of the Crucified Saviour on a plain background. This particular cross was probably carved locally, sometime in the 16th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/413434

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions