Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of staircase at Edinburgh College of Art.

SC 409331

Description View of staircase at Edinburgh College of Art.

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 409331

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20533

Scope and Content Main Staircase, Edinburgh College of Art, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh This photograph of the magnificent stone staircase of the Edinburgh College of Art was taken in 1909 by the architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The college, designed in 1906-9 by John More Dick Peddie, was completed in 1912. This monumental staircase leads from the entrance hall below to the galleries on the upper level of the building. The double-return stair is lit from lunette windows and an octagonal cupola, and has paired Ionic columns and pilasters at first-floor level. The Edinburgh College of Art was built on the site of the city's municipal cattle market. The western section of the college was begun in 1907, and when the cattle market finally moved to new premises in Gorgie, the eastern part was finished in 1912. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/409331

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions