Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prince Charlie's House View from West (before restoration)

ED 1818

Description Prince Charlie's House View from West (before restoration)

Date 13/2/1959

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number ED 1818

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 533259

Scope and Content Prince Charlie's House, The Causeway, Duddingston Village, Edinburgh, before restoration The Causeway, Duddingston's main street,is a narrow lane which runs from the gates of the church the length of the village. It has a number of 18th and 19th-century houses, as well as the village's only public house, the 18th-century Sheep's Heid Inn. This plain 18th-century two-storeyed rubble-built house at the east end of The Causeway was formerly a tavern. The house lay derelict for many years but has now been restored as private living accommodation. Bonnie Prince Charlie, Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Charles Edward Stewart) is said to have stayed in the tavern the night before the Battle of Prestonpans in 1745 where he defeated the English under General Cope. His troops camped on flat ground to the east of the village. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/402427

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions