Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of burial aisle and tower

SC 400722

Description General view of burial aisle and tower

Catalogue Number SC 400722

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 7177 CN

Scope and Content Parish Church, Kilmuir Easter, Highland Kilmuir Easter Parish Church was constructed in its present form in 1797-8 incorporating a pre-existing burial aisle and belfry. The windows and interior were altered in 1903. This shows the 17th-century burial aisle at the east end of the church. The belfry bears the date 1616 and the initials of George Munro of Milntown and his wife, Margaret Dunbar. Burials inside churches were banned in 1581. Wealthy families got around this by converting disused religious structures into mausolea, by adding burial-aisles to churches, and, in the 17th century, by creating separate burial-enclosures. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions