Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from North East

SC 400121

Description View from North East

Catalogue Number SC 400121

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1313

Scope and Content Fearn Abbey (now Parish Church), Hill of Fearn, Highland Fearn Abbey was founded in 1238 by the Earl of Ross. Only the church survives. Built between 1338 and 1372, it became a parish church in the 16th century. Its roof collapsed in 1742, but it was brought back into use in 1772. The blocked window in the east gable (left) was probably inserted in the early 15th century when the church was re-roofed. The now-roofless Douglas burial-aisle projecting from the north side was added in the later 16th century. Burials inside churches were banned in 1581. Wealthy families got around this by converting disused religious structures into mausolea, by adding burial-aisles to churches, and, in the 17th century, by creating separate burial-enclosures. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/400121

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions