Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of monument set in wall beneath window.

SC 400118

Description View of monument set in wall beneath window.

Collection L Birley

Catalogue Number SC 400118

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1312

Scope and Content Interior, Douglas burial-aisle, Fearn Abbey (now Parish Church), Hill of Fearn, Highland Fearn Abbey was founded in 1238 by the Earl of Ross. Only the church survives. Built between 1338 and 1372, it became a parish church in the 16th century. Its roof collapsed in 1742, but it was brought back into use in 1772. This late 17th-century monument bearing the arms of Ross and Douglas is mounted on the north wall of the Douglas burial-aisle, itself constructed in the 17th century. Burials inside churches were banned in 1581. Wealthy families got around this by converting disused religious structures into mausolea, by adding burial-aisles to churches, and, in the 17th century, by creating separate burial-enclosures. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/400118

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions