Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

General view of No 7 Cathedral Square and No 32 High Street

SC 398321

Description General view of No 7 Cathedral Square and No 32 High Street

Catalogue Number SC 398321

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 954/29

Scope and Content Number 7 Cathedral Square, Fortrose, Highland Fortrose began as a settlement belonging to the canons of Fortrose Cathedral. It became a royal burgh in 1590, but in 1691 was said to be still a 'little village'. By the later 19th century, the town was an established holiday resort. Number 7 Cathedral Square (left) was built in the early 19th century. Its wall-head is decorated with battlements. Semicircular bows project either side of the entrance which has a cast iron porch added in Victorian times. By the mid 19th century, architects commonly used cast-iron structures and decorations. This was because Scotland had become a major iron producer. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/398321

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions