Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Oblique aerial view.

SC 395948

Description Oblique aerial view.

Catalogue Number SC 395948

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 25141

Scope and Content Aerial view of Gatehouse of Fleet, Dumfries and Galloway Gatehouse of Fleet sits on the Water of Fleet overlooking Wigtown Bay. It first developed in the 1760s as a planned village on the estate of James Murray of Broughton. The town expanded greatly when it became a burgh of barony in 1785. This aerial view shows the layout of the town, which grew up due to the industries which set up here in the 18th century. A tannery was established in 1768, and breweries in the 1770s and 1780s. Cotton mills were also built in the town from 1785. With the mills came workers' housing. A terrace of mill workers' houses survives in Birtwhistle Street (centre of photograph). On the left of the photograph is Bobbin Mill, built c.1790 and reconstructed 1841 after a fire by James Davidson and Company. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/395948

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions