Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view. Cropped image.

SC 395878

Description Oblique aerial view. Cropped image.

Date 1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 395878

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 25589

Scope and Content Aerial view of Cakemuir Castle, Midlothian Cakemuir Castle stands c.10km south-east of Dalkeith. A tower-house was built c.1560 for Adam Wauchope. An adjoining wing was added in the 18th century by Henry Wauchope, Secretary to Lord Bute. Further alterations were carried out in the 19th century. This aerial view shows the rectangular four-storeyed 16th-century tower-house (top right). The Georgian wing (top left) was altered in the 19th century in Baronial style. The gardens and court of offices can be seen in the centre of the photograph. Mary Queen of Scots is believed to have stayed at Cakemuir in 1567 after escaping from nearby Borthwick Castle. The castle was restored and modernised in 1926 and again in the 1950s by Neil & Hurd, and is still lived in today. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/395878

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 177) RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Sub-Group Level (551 177/19) 1994 Photographs

>> Item Level (SC 395878) Oblique aerial view. Cropped image.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions