Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View with boats and lobster creels

SC 388584

Description View with boats and lobster creels

Date c. 1885

Collection Erskine Beveridge

Catalogue Number SC 388584

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 1909

Scope and Content View of Harbour, Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. Crail harbour was first built in the late 15th or early 16th century. The burgh tried unsuccessfully for many years to have the harbour extended because the approach was surrounded by rocks. Improvements were finally made to the original harbour c.1862. As this view of c.1890 shows, after the decline of the herring industry, the people of Crail turned to other trade such as importing and exporting timber. Today, the harbour is used by only a few small boats for lobster fishing. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/388584

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Erskine Beveridge Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions