Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crail, 34, 36 & 38 Shoregate View from South East

SC 388544

Description Crail, 34, 36 & 38 Shoregate View from South East

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 388544

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 4109/33

Scope and Content View of Nos 34-38 Shoregate, Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. Shoregate is the oldest street in Crail and leads from the harbour to the High Street. These 17th- and 18th-century houses display features typical of Fife's fishing villages such as crowstepped gables and pantiled roofs with lower courses of slates. With the decline in the herring industry in the late 19th century, the fisherfolk turned to catching lobsters instead and a large pile of lobster pots lies to the left of this image. The harbour is now used by only a few small boats for lobster fishing. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/388544

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions