Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

C 29807 CN

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 11/4/1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number C 29807 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798561

Scope and Content Aerial view of Dirleton Castle, East Lothian This view, taken from the north in 1994, shows the east wing to the left, with the floor of the great hall above vaulted cellars. To the right is the courtyard, with, at the south end, the Ruthven building, in front of the 13th-century towers. The ruins are enclosed within a high wall, with a dovecot at the north-east corner (bottom). Dirleton Castle was besieged in 1650 by General Monk's army, and taken after artillery bombardment. It was superseded as a residence in 1663, by Archerfield House, and fell into ruin. It was consolidated after it was taken into State care (now Historic Scotland) in the 1920s, and is open to the public. Dirleton Castle occupies the site of a timber castle built in the late 12th century by the 1st baron de Vaux. It was rebuilt in stone in the later 13th century. The east range of this castle was much enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries by the Halyburton family, and minor additions made in the 16th century by the Ruthvens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Colour negative

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/382265

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions