Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, St Oran's Churchyard. Plan of carved grave-slabs.

SC 378388

Description Iona, St Oran's Churchyard. Plan of carved grave-slabs.

Catalogue Number SC 378388

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 313/5

Scope and Content Grave-slab, from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This drawing shows one of the slabs in the Abbey Museum (No 73). The main part of the decoration comprises intertwined plant-scrolls with spring from the tails of two pairs of beasts. Above these is a panel of loose interlace. The drawing was made during the 19th century by J Drummond for his work 'Sculptured monuments of Iona and the Western Highlands' (plate xx). The style belongs to the Iona school of carving. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/378388

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions