Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey Museum. View of St Columba's pillow stone L1.

AG 572

Description Iona, Iona Abbey Museum. View of St Columba's pillow stone L1.

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 572

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 377992

Scope and Content Incised cross known as 'St Columba's Pillow' from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This stone is in the Abbey Museum (No 26). It is a water-worn boulder bearing a ringed cross. The centre of the cross head is a square and the armpits are slightly sunken. A number of early Christian cross-incised stones have been found on Iona. They were probably grave-markers, or possibly boundary-markers: those decorated on both sides stood upright, the rest having been recumbent. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference L1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377991

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions