Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, St Oran's Chapel. View of effigies and carved graveslabs.

AG 4981

Description Iona, St Oran's Chapel. View of effigies and carved graveslabs.

Date 1901 to 1910

Collection Copies of photographs by J H B Fletcher, photographer, England

Catalogue Number AG 4981

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 377990

Scope and Content Graveslabs in Reilig Odhrain, Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This view shows graveslabs in the burial-ground known as Reilig Odhrain. The slabs, which commemorate high-ranking clergy and members of rich families, have been move to the Abbey Museum. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377989

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 1988) Copies of photographs by J H B Fletcher, photographer, England

> Item Level (AG 4981) Iona, St Oran's Chapel. View of effigies and carved graveslabs.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (J H B Fletcher Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions