Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Oran's Chapel, Iona. View of exterior doorway c.1900.

SC 377103

Description St Oran's Chapel, Iona. View of exterior doorway c.1900.

Catalogue Number SC 377103

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12794

Scope and Content View of exterior doorway of St Oran's Chapel, Iona Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around 563AD. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around 1200AD. The chapel has its origins in the 12th century. This image shows three ladies framed in the exterior doorway of the Chapel. This doorway consists of two rounded columns, surmounted by a chevroned double arch. The chapel stands at the north end of the burial-ground, Reilig Odhrain. Both are named after a cousin of Columba. In the later Middle Ages, it became the burial place of the MacDonalds, Lords of the Isles, and the chaplainry. It was restored in 1957. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377103

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions