Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, MacLean's Cross. General view of obverse face.

SC 377097

Description Iona, MacLean's Cross. General view of obverse face.

Date 1965

Catalogue Number SC 377097

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 599

Scope and Content Carved cross known as MacLean's Cross, on Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This view shows the west face of the cross. The main feature is a carving of the crucified Christ set within in a niche on the circular head of the cross. There is a fleur-de-lis on the upper arm, and intertwined plant-scrolls fill the cross's shaft. MacLean's Cross stands on what is probably its original location - on the west side of the road from the Abbey and the Nunnery. The cross is the product of the Iona school of carving and it was probably commissioned by a member of the Clan MacLean. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377097

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions