Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, St Mary's Abbey, St John's Cross. Photographic copy of view of West face of cross partially reconstructed.

SC 377096

Description Iona, St Mary's Abbey, St John's Cross. Photographic copy of view of West face of cross partially reconstructed.

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number SC 377096

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 527/55 P

Scope and Content Cross-slab known as St John's Cross, from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This drawing shows the reconstructed west face of the cross. This side of the shaft survives almost intact. Less of the upper arm survives than on the east face, but the right and left arms are more intact. This ringed cross stood 4.8 m west of 'St Columba's Shrine', but has now been placed inside. It comprised eight separate sections fitted together with mortice-and tenon joins. A replica stands on the original spot. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377096

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions